We would like to share with you the
last e-mail that Sid sent to us in 2013 which documents his wonderful sense of
humor. We fondly remember the time we spent with him and are forever
grateful for his friendship.
June 2013
Dear Berndt, dear Jutta:
Oh, dear! I guess you were not
told! I died some months ago, and they are embalming me to replace Lenin.
We hope you are all well.
We are retired -- we retire early,
we sleep long, we enjoy life. I study German each night before going to sleep.
I'm doing it to jog my memory (aus, bei, mit, nach, zeit, von, zu, diesseits
jenseits usw.), and because there are some lovely old German-speakers
(Germans, no less) in the beautiful retirement community we now inhabit.
I have actually written (with a
student) a paper on Berlioz! Not my regular line of work, to be sure. I'm
working on other stuff (sugar included). I have promised a sugar article to a
nice lady, due next summer. Cash only on delivery. But who knows?
Jackie continues to paint, and
to amaze me. She gave up oil still-life for abstraction in various modes or
stages, and she has become nicely introspective. The results are seriously
impressive.
We ache some -- she cries "ai"! I
cry "oy"! -- but we still enjoy intensely most things
together. i have, however, given up travel. It's simply too damned hard now.
She's off to Ireland in a month, while I stay behind to psychoanalyze the
cats...
Herzliche Begrueszen und Zei gesind aich (i.e. Sei gesund
euch)!
Sid
Filet of Salmon with
Cucumber-Radish Salsa
Small organic cucumber (with skin)
½ bunch of red radishes (5-6)
1 celery stalk (optional)
Minced fresh coriander (or dill)
600 gr. of Salmon (filet with skin)
For the salsa chop up cucumber,
radishes and celery into small cubes, chop up coriander or dill. Add two
tablespoons olive oil, one spoonful Balsamico vinegar, a pinch of sugar or a
few drops of artificial sweetener, salt and pepper. Salt and pepper
the salmon steaks, fry in olive oil and butter 3-4 minutes each side. (Serves
four). Serve with steamed potatoes, preferably Sieglinde, Sid’s favorite.