Friday, April 29, 2016

Christopher Steiner

Sidney Mintz introduced me to anthropology when I studied as an undergraduate at Johns Hopkins from 1980 to 1984. One of my favorite memories of Professor Mintz is his advice regarding the completion of my senior thesis. I emailed him in 2013 to share this anecdote with him. Below is part of my email and his response.

CS: Although I learned a tremendous amount of scholarship from you professor as an undergraduate...the one anecdote I often repeat is that we were in the elevator together sometime in the spring of 1984 when I was finishing my Honors Thesis and I asked you: how will I know when the thesis is good enough to hand in? And you answered: "At some point Chris you just say f*ck it, and hand it in!" I still think that was invaluable advice!


SM: Gee, what a great way to be remembered! Maybe that should go on my tombstone!