In May 2003, I was extremely lucky to find my first job out of college as a research assistant to Sid. My thanks to George Baca for making this possible. I would meet with Sid at his home to discuss research tasks and to troubleshoot computer issues. Though I was new to research and admittedly a bit immature, Sid treated me like a colleague. He was patient, kind and honest with me. He instilled confidence in me to work independently and to learn from the mistakes I made without a lot of grief. Sid’s humor and intelligence were, and always will be, inspiring to me. I was fortunate to get to know Jackie and to work with her with projects as well.
I worked with Sid for two years until I took a position at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine as a research assistant at a center focused on aging research. With Sid’s letter of recommendation, I was later accepted into graduate school at the Hopkins School of Public Health. I continue to work in aging research, focusing on trying to advance knowledge about why some people become frail as they age compared to others who remain resilient into old age. I often think of Sid and the intelligence, humor, and wit he possessed and maintained throughout his later life.
I last saw Sid over a great meal at the Dogwood restaurant in Baltimore. It was a true pleasure to be with him and Jackie, and I was happy that they were able to meet my then-girlfriend, now-wife, Alexis. I will treasure the moments we shared. Thank you, Sid.
I am not much of a cook, but here’s an easy and tasty recipe I can actually make. :)
Simple Sausage Quiche
Ingredients:
- Butter (1 tbsp)
- ½ onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1-2 sausages, raw
- 2 cups of broccoli (or substitute combine with other vegetables)
- Pie crust
- 1 ½ cups of cheese (shredded cheddar or mixed blend)
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- 4 eggs, well-beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter, and brown sausage over medium heat
- Add onions, garlic and browned sausage to the pie crust
- Add broccoli and 1 cup of cheese to the pie crust
- Combine beaten eggs, milk, salt and pepper, and add mixture to the pie crust
- Add the remaining cheese on top
- Bake for 45-60 minutes
- Let stand for a few minutes before enjoying