In January 2004, Sid joined
me in teaching an NYU intersession course in Puerto Rico. At his
suggestion, we called it “The Bitter and the Sweet: Puerto Rico, Sugar, and
Caribbean History.” I treasure his comments following up on our planning meeting
in May 2003:
Greetings from Crabtown! I
hope you made the train, and that the trip back was an easy one. It was
delightful to have you visit with us, and I think we really did accomplish a
great deal. Knowing you could stay on till quite late helped, I think, to make
our discussions much more considered and fruitful...Here are at least some of
the things we have to clarify.
1. Where is the hotel in relation to Sagrado Corazon U.?
2. Do we need transport between them – or can we walk it?
3. How do students get to Old San Juan and back?
4. What is the transport situation in regard to getting to other places on the island?
5. What are the possibilities of having a van or bus available for trips?
6. What about using weekends for trips?
7. If we have outside lecturers, does one on race and another on contemporary politics make sense? Is that too many? Not enough?
8. Where can we have an informal dinner meeting with our students on Tuesday night, Jan. 6?
9. The same for our farewell dinner on Thursday Jan 15?
I'm sure that there are other such questions – these are what occur to me now.
1. Where is the hotel in relation to Sagrado Corazon U.?
2. Do we need transport between them – or can we walk it?
3. How do students get to Old San Juan and back?
4. What is the transport situation in regard to getting to other places on the island?
5. What are the possibilities of having a van or bus available for trips?
6. What about using weekends for trips?
7. If we have outside lecturers, does one on race and another on contemporary politics make sense? Is that too many? Not enough?
8. Where can we have an informal dinner meeting with our students on Tuesday night, Jan. 6?
9. The same for our farewell dinner on Thursday Jan 15?
I'm sure that there are other such questions – these are what occur to me now.
Sid
was a national hero in Puerto Rico where Worker in the Cane: A Puerto Rican
Life History (1974) is a proud part of the island’s canon. The
students and I were privileged to be there with him.
In
2007, I was honored to give the 14th annual Sidney Mintz lecture.
Here’s my title slide.