Friday, April 29, 2016

Jonathan Thomas

Sidney Mintz’s Influence on Me

I was so young when I met Sid, a freshman in college adapting to the intensely competitive atmosphere at Johns Hopkins, where I’d come with the intention of being a doctor, as a lot of people do. We were encouraged to take courses outside of our major, and I chose an anthropology class, something I had always been interested in but hadn’t been exposed to. Sid was towards the end of his teaching career, and by far the oldest professor that I had. But the anthropology class quickly became the most important course I was taking, and the one in which I found the most like-minded people. What’s funny is that I didn’t have a clue who Sid was—no idea about his decades teaching at Yale during the Civil Rights era, no idea that the book he was having us read (Worker in the Cane) was by this time a classic of ethnography, no idea about his relationships with people like Ruth Benedict, Julian Steward, and Eric Wolf. So Sid’s effect on me came just from what he said, how he taught; I had no preconceptions of him. I knew that when I read Worker in the Cane, it wasn’t anything like the survey texts in my other classes: here was almost the entirety of Puerto Rican social history unpacked in one man’s (Don Taso’s) life story. (It wasn’t until a decade later that I discovered Sid’s other books, and realized how much broader in scope he had taken his project regarding the global interconnectedness of seemingly distinct social and economic histories). Sid also had dry, ironic sense of humor that I appreciated—I didn’t always get the joke, but I could tell from the mischievous look in his eyes that he making one.   

At the time, I was unaware of the intellectual rifts that had arisen within anthropology in the late 1980s and early1990s. I wasn’t even aware that Hopkins was a boutique anthropology department—sociocultural and linguistic anthropology only—until much later. When Sid taught the introductory anthropology course, he didn’t in any way privilege cultural anthropology in coverage or emphasis: equal weight was given to all four fields of anthropology—so much so that I came out of the class most interested in biological anthropology. (Perhaps this shouldn’t be so surprising: when I visited Sid many years later at his home in Cockeysville in 2013, he had current issues of more than one physical anthropology journal on his coffee table.) Sid said something that semester that changed my life and my intellectual trajectory: that there is more genetic variation within a given population than between populations, by which he meant to underscore the social construction of race. I went home that Christmas and had to give my parents the disappointing news that I wasn’t going to practice medicine (a career they that they were familiar with and knew I could support myself with), I was going to be an anthropologist (a career my parents were unfamiliar with, but about which they already seemed to have their doubts).

Towards the end of his life, I finally got the chance to eat and talk about food with Sid and his wife Jackie when my wife Anna and I visited them at their home outside of Baltimore. We had a wonderful meal at a local Vietnamese restaurant, which gave rise to many great conversations about food culture around the world. Sid and Jackie were warm and gracious hosts, and I had the unique experience of eating with them at Broadmead, the Quaker community where Sid retired. The food was delicious, and Sid was still Sid—holding court and delivering an impromptu ethnography of retirement home dining rooms, focusing particularly on the people that worked there. It was an amazing experience. Sid was still teaching me things about humans and about being human over twenty years after that first class.


And I did finally become a doctor, of anthropology.