Friday, April 22, 2016

Sandy Zagarell

In 2003 a group of faculty at Oberlin who read Sweetness and Power was so compelled that we invited Sid to campus.  He graciously accepted our invitation, gave a terrific—and timely--lecture on globalization in eras before our own, and was generous and spirited in conversations with us and with students.

His visit was especially important for me. As Sid’s host, I was with him a good deal during his visit, and I soon felt as though I was with a friend. We talked about anthropology and cultural studies, about the City College system—I am a CCNY graduate, he went to Brooklyn College—about his family and mine. He was a captivating storyteller and told me many wonderful stories about his life, about people he knew, about his family. One was about a friend of his--someone he knew in college—whose summer job was with a group of travelling entertainers, musicians, I think. Once, when the group was performing at a county fair, Sid’s friend went up to the ice cream stand and ordered a cone with one scoop of chocolate, one of vanilla. ”We’re not allowed to do that,” insisted the woman who was serving. “O.K,’ said Sid’s friend. “ I’d like two cones, one with a scoop of chocolate, one with a scoop of vanilla.” The woman turned around to fill his order, then whirled back and said,” Oh no you don’t. I know what you are up to.”  Even after 13 years, I still hear the righteous tone of her voice and I see her whipping around. Sid didn’t imitate her, but his telling was so understatedly vivid that the scene came alive.

I understood the story as a tale about absolutist categories and dogmatic adherence to them but sometimes when I retell it people think it’s about racial segregation. Luckily, Sid came back to Oberlin a few years after that first visit—with Jackie, so I got to know her too—and I asked him about its implications. He did see it as a tale about categories, and he was amused that some took it to be about race. Of course, as he said, categories and race are not unrelated.


Whether in person or through his writing, I was always learning from Sid, with pleasure, affection and enormous respect. I will continue to do so.