Friday, April 29, 2016

Richard Wilk

Remembering Sidney Mintz

I was two years out of graduate school in 1983, barely clinging to an insecure position as a visiting lecturer. A classmate who had found a job in a business school decided to bring some anthropologists to the annual meeting of the Association for Consumer Research, held in Toronto that year, to talk about consumption. I was excited to be on the same panel with Sidney Mintz, whose work I had read in a seminar led by my advisor Bob Netting. At Yale as an undergraduate, Bob had taken classes with Sid, who he held responsible for his decision to become an anthropologist. Before graduate school, I had also read Sid’s work in an undergraduate seminar on the Caribbean taught by Connie Sutton at NYU. I was really looking forward to meeting the man who was my intellectual grandfather.
        
Unfortunately, by the time I got to Toronto for the meetings I was very sick, and barely managed to stumble into the hotel. Trying to save money, the session organizer had put me in a double room with someone I didn’t know, and through my coughing and wheezing I insisted on a single room so I could go right to bed. The clerk gave me another room that had been reserved by the session organizer, and he told me that they would sort out the mix-up later. I took a couple of cold pills and sank into a deep sleep. Sometime after midnight I woke up to the sound of someone unlocking the door and coming into the room; a very tired and angry man who wanted to know why I was sleeping in his room. In my groggy state I could barely speak, and before I could explain he turned around and marched out.
        
The next day I found out that my angry visitor was famous anthropologist I so admired; I crept into the session, dripped and wheezed through my paper, barely able to even glance at our distinguished discussant. I remember nothing about my paper, but I do clearly recall that Sid said nothing about it in his comments. I left the room with a sick feeling that I had just alienated one of the most prominent anthropologists in the world, while I was desperately searching for a secure job.
        
I know that I passed him in the halls at the AAA meetings many times over the next decade, and because he never recognized me, I convinced myself that he was still angry. It took sixteen years before I met him again at a small workshop at the Hagley Museum in Delaware, where I brought my first paper on the globalization of food. When I saw Sid in the hotel lobby, I asked if I could buy him a drink. For some reason I remember that we ended up in the bar of a Howard Johnson’s, and that he ordered vodka. After fifteen minutes of my elaborate apology for the incident in Toronto, he stopped me and said he had never even seen the person in the bed, and had no idea it had been me. He was happy to meet one of Netting’s students, since Bob had died unexpectedly just a year before. We sat for a couple of hours and reminisced about Bob, and I learned a lot about his early career. After that talk, Sid gently took over a part of the avuncular role that Bob had played in my life.

RECIPE: BELIZE BOIL-UP

Some recent conversations with Sid concerned his chapter in a book I co-edited about rice and beans in different parts of the Atlantic world. He wrote about the food he ate when he was doing his first fieldwork in Puerto Rico. He said that the everyday diet of the cane workers was monotonous and starchy; and how he realized that his own meager daily fare was extravagant in comparison. We talked about why root crops and breadfruit remained low-status food in much of the Caribbean, and I mentioned a starchy dish I often ate in Belize that was slowly becoming popular again as “authentic roots” food.  This is a generic template for Belizean Boil-Up – in practice cooks substitute freely and use whatever they have on hand, and they do not weigh or measure ingredients.

Assemble an assortment of root crops and bread-kind (plantain) including at least four of the following: Use as much as you need to fill up your guests or family.

Cocoyam (also called Yautia, malanga – it’s the white fleshed slightly hairy one)
Irish potato
Sweet potato
Sweet cassava
Green or yellow plantain
Green banana
Yam (not sweet potato – white fleshed Dioscorea)
Taro (also called Dasheen)
Carrot
Boil-Cake - plain flour dumplings (add a little baking powder if you like them lighter)

At least a quarter pound of salted pork or beef; pig tail is best.
Fish is optional – you can use salt fish that has been soaked 24 hours, or a firm fresh fish fillet or steak you have salted overnight

The sauce:
Two large onions, 3 or 4 tomatoes, whole allspice seed, habanero peppers if you like
A few tablespoons of coconut oil

Cut all the roots into pieces that will barely fit on a tablespoon – some people like big chunks, others smaller. Peel plantains and bananas and cut into 2-inc pieces.

Boil the salt meat in water and then discard the water – you may have to do this a couple of times to get most of the salt out. Cut it into chunks.
Boil a large pot of water with the salt meat in it. Start adding the ground food and bread-kind, in the order of the slowest cooking (cassava, yam) to the quickest (cocoyam, ripe plantain) so they all get soft at about the same time.

In the meantime fry cut up onions and tomatoes in the coconut oil, along with garlic if you like, and the allspice seeds (four or five at most). Some people add catsup. I don't.

If you have fish, simmer it in coconut milk in a separate pan. I like to add some coconut milk to the boiling roots when the ingredients are about half cooked-through.  Most Belizeans don’t put coconut milk in the boil up – but they do add a few tablespoons of coconut oil. This is my version, and I like coconut milk)

If you like it hot, cut up habanero peppers into small pieces (no seeds!) with some thinly sliced onion and carrot, and put to soak in clear spirit vinegar (you should actually do this the day before, but who remembers?). Optionally you can cook a whole habanero in the pot, as long as you don’t break it, and then you take it out whole before you serve.


Take a big bowl and ladle in a sampling of all the ground food, plantain and dumpling, and add a piece of the salt meat. If you made fish, add a generous portion to the bowl now. Serve with a side dish of the tomato-onion sauce. Add a sprinkling of habanero and vinegar if you want. Nyam i’ uol (eat it up!)