Friday, April 29, 2016

Kamran Ali

I met Sid later in his life, which may be my life long regret. I entered the anthropology graduate program at Johns Hopkins in 1987. That is the year Sid turned sixty-five. I remember my first meeting in the hall-way when I addressed him as Professor Mintz and he in his characteristic manner said something about how his name was Sid and not Professor Mintz. This was new to me, coming from a much more hierarchical academic and social environment in Pakistan, where one could not even imagine addressing someone your senior with his or her first name. Sid through his small gestures, which were always pedagogical moments, made me realize that true respect does not only reside in forms of address and in honorifics. Later that year in November Jackie and Sid invited the entire department for a birthday lunch at a Chinese restaurant in the city. We all felt extremely honored. Some of us had already heard about his legendary cooking (and also tasted it), so we decided to get him an apron and a chef’s cap which said, “Sid the Kid” as a birthday gift. It was a lovely afternoon with the entire department, faculty, students and staff together enjoying Jackie and Sid’s hospitality.

This is what Sid exemplifies for me, the person who brought us together. He remained the moral fulcrum of the program. All of us were deeply influenced by his intellectual vision (for the department and for anthropology in general), his political insights and his generosity as a teacher; we were Sid’s students, his children…. and remain proud of it.

Over the years Syema and I kept in touch with Jackie and Sid, exchanging messages, seeing them at annual meetings and visiting them in Baltimore. I am indebted to Sid for much that I know today and the only way I can repay … I know he would approve…is to pass on what I learnt from him to the next generation.

He was the leader of our small caravan and among may other things, he taught us to trust and respect the voices of the marginalized and to dream of a future that would guarantee social justice, dignity and respect for all.

This is the vision that many of us hold dear, so rather than saying goodbye… Sid, I am sure we will meet again when, as the Urdu poet Faiz Ahmad Faiz wrote;
Uthe ga ana al-haq ka nara
Jo mai bhi huN or tum bhi ho
Aur raj kare gi khalq e khuda
Jo mai bhi huN or tum bhi ho
The call of ‘I am the truth’ will rise
Truth, that we all are
And God’s people will rule the earth
God’s people, that we all are

TILL THEN, Sid….