My full name is Laura
Delano Duncan but he knew me as Lali. I met Sid and Jackie when I was a child
growing up in Puerto Rico with my parents, Irene and Jack Delano, and my
brother Pablo. I especially remember his sense of humor and I remember him always
smiling.
On one of our many trips to
photograph Puerto Rico, I took the photo I am attaching. I did not even
remember taking it, but my brother Pablo reminded me. The people in the photo
are (L-R) Don Taso Zayas, Jack Delano, and Sid.
I remember his love of
food, and savoring many amazing meals made by Sid and Jackie. One of everyone’s
favorite in Puerto Rico was a cheesecake I used to make with my mother, which
we always made for guests. I am not sure if he ever had it, so I will share it
with you all now.
Later on, when I went to
college at Goucher, I took an anthropology class with him. I was not a very
good anthropology student, but he passed me just the same, and I LOVED his
class!
Lali’s cheesecake
Preheat oven to 350.
Ingredients:
Crust:
1 package graham crackers
crushed
1 bar of butter
Cake:
3 bars Philadelphia cream
cheese
3 eggs
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Topping:
1 small container sour
cream
1/2 cup sugar
Making the crust:
Melt the butter and add
graham crumbs to it., mix well
Pack into a pie pan or
springform pan so it is pressed up around sides too.
Making the cake:
In an electric beater, beat
all cake ingredients until smooth.
Pour into graham cracker
crust.
Bake for 45 minutes or
until a toothpick or fork comes out clean and cake is slightly browned on top.
While the cake is in the
oven, make the topping:
In an electric beater mix
Topping ingredients.
After cake is cool, spread
over the top of the cake.
Bake for 5-10 minutes or
until glazed.
![]() |
|
Sid with Don Taso and Jack Delano
|
