Friday, April 29, 2016

John Miller

I had the great good fortune and privilege of having "Mr. Mintz" as one of my teachers during my freshman year at Yale in 1961. His famous “Introduction to Anthropology” course was available, however, only to upperclassmen, and to others “with the written approval of the instructor.” I am forever grateful that I, a shy freshman, was able to muster the courage to request his signature on my course approval form.  I came up to him nervously, not knowing exactly how I would frame my argument should he question my motives for taking his course.  I need not have worried: he cordially welcomed me and signed the form, without an interrogation. I was officially on board.  And what a voyage it was. And the voyage continues.

I almost became an anthropology major, but became an English major instead.  But Sid's influence remained with me and he was the primary reason that, after graduating from Yale, I decided I wanted to be a teacher.  I wanted to be able to teach with passion, conviction, and knowledge and to pass on to others that best that has been taught and said in the world. Sid Mintz did just that. He was my role model, my exemplar, my tutor in the art of teaching. I wanted to be like him.

I met Sid again briefly in 1970 when we were both Fulbright Fellows in France.  After he moved to Baltimore we reconnected in 1999.  He and I became friends and we frequently corresponded, and both my wife Emily and I enjoyed many visits with Sid and Jackie in Baltimore.   His influence on me as a teacher-scholar has been profound.  I miss his kindness and wit, his honesty, all of which were fully apparent in long conversations during which I became his student again and was treated to his articulate insights about anthropology, his pioneering field work in the Caribbean, and his joyful attitude toward life in all its abundance -- an attitude he carried with him to the end of his life.

During  Fall 2015 I served as a Visiting Lecturer with the University of Virginia's "Semester at Sea" program of Atlantic exploration. I taught a course on the literature of the sea called "The Sea and there Mirror" that focused on the trans-Alantic slave trade and the culture of the Caribbean. Sid patiently spent hours giving me suggestions on readings, both literary and anthropological, that deeply enriched my course by broadening my horizons.  We were looking forward to getting together after the sea voyage in January, 2016.  Alas, this was not to be.  A friend of mine, who had met Sid and had learned of his death, wrote to me: "Sid was so alive. He is so alive. He will be with us always." 

Back in 1998 I was working at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels, Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay, home of the world's best oysters.  Sid was fascinated by work the Museum was doing in collecting oral histories of oystermen and crabbers on the Bay, so we invited him and Jackie to visit us for a weekend. We served them recently shucked oysters placed in small muffin tins topped with a small slice of bacon and seasoned with a drop of Worcestershire sauce. The tins were placed under a pre-heated broiler and served afterwards with a good dry white wine.  I think Sid was in seventh heaven -- we all ate so  any oysters before dinner that we hardly had room for the main course.

Therefore, knowing that oysters were something they liked, Emily and I brought the ingredients for oyster stew to their home in Baltimore back in January of 2012 and cooked a delicious oyster stew for them in their kitchen.

We share the following recipe with all of you, in loving memory of Sid.

"Emily's Oyster Stew, a la Mintz"

Ingredients:

4 small French boules or sourdough bread cut like a pumpkin and scraped out on the inside
2 pints large shucked oysters, drained but save the juice
1/2 cup finely Mintzed celery
2 finely Mintzed shallots
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
White pepper
Salt to taste
Dash Worchester sauce
4 teaspoons finely Mintzed parsley
4 cups half and half (half milk, half cream)
1 cup good white wine

Cooking:

In a fry pan sauté celery and shallots in butter.  Do not burn.  Take 1/2 pint oysters and Mintz coarsely.  Add to sautéed ingredients. Cook for a moment and then add wine and oyster juice and reduce to 1/2 amount. Keep warm.   In another sauce pan heat half and half and add seasonings.  Add sautéed ingredients to half and half.   Add the remaining oysters and heat gently until the oyster edges slightly curl. Add remaining butter.  Pour into boules, add parsley, and serve immediately. Use the scraped out bread to dip up stew.  


Jonathan Swift said, "Brave was the man that first ate an oyster." And brave, too, were we to serve oyster stew to such an epicure as Sid. But he enjoyed every bit of it.  Supported all the day long with good wine, great food, and wonderful conversation, the afternoon waned, the shadows lengthened, and the evening came, and the busy world was hushed as we departed for home, each of us cozy in our safe lodgings, for rest and peace at the end of the day and knowing that life is good.