Friday, April 29, 2016

Raymonde Carroll


My brother and I were French graduate students in Paris when we met Sid for the first time. Sid was trying to make a phone call from a café next to the Cité Universitaire where we all lived.  My brother helped him make the call - a nearly impossible feat at the time for all of us -  then  brought him to our favorite café next door to meet our friends and me.  Sid became a regular addition to “la bande” (our gang), happily speaking French all the time, immersing himself in our local student culture, surrounded by us “natives”.  When the time came for anthropologists to descend on Paris for their international meeting, held at the Musée de l’Homme that year, Sid asked my brother and me to be guides for “his friends”, among whom were not only big names of the field, but also a Yale student whom he had taken with him to Haiti to do fieldwork there. Thanks to Sid, I met my future husband, as this student was Vern Carroll. Vern even used the Creole he had learned in Haiti as the basis for our first exchanges. Among the many many fond memories I have of the four of us (Sid, Jackie, Vern and I) at Yale, Brooklyn, or Paris, one in particular relates to food. I do not have any recipes, but I have a precious object.  As a very special wedding present, Sid gave us the old pressure cooker which had belonged to his father.  We have moved many times across the world and gotten used to keeping only the essentials (boxes of books and notes of course).  The pressure cooker has always remained with us, throughout the years, and I still have it today.