Friday, April 29, 2016

Carol E. Heim

In Memory of Sidney Mintz


Sidney Mintz was one of the first professors I met when I arrived at Yale in the fall of 1972 to pursue my undergraduate degree.  Although I’m a strong proponent of small-size classes at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, where I now teach, I always use his introductory anthropology class as an example of how some large lecture courses can be immensely valuable and transformative experiences.  Sid broadened and challenged our understanding of human societies and cultures.  I’m sure I’m not the only former student who still sometimes thinks about elderly people drifting on ice floes and the dilemmas that all societies face in dealing with resource allocation, death, and how best to care for all of a community’s members.


I well remember standing with other students near the podium in SSS 114 and plying him with questions after nearly every class.  He never seemed to be rushing off to something more important.  Sid told me that teaching meant more to him than research and I am very grateful to be one of the thousands of beneficiaries of his knowledge, enthusiasm, and patience with naiveté.  His research has been important to me throughout my professional career as well.  I teach economic history and have sent many students to read Sweetness and Power and to grapple with its thought-provoking claims.  Sid was a wise, funny, and kind mentor.  I could always count on him for good advice at times when I felt confused and uncertain about the best path forward.  He’ll continue to be an inspiration to me throughout my life.