I was a neighbor of Sid and Jackie
Mintz when they lived in Harper House in Baltimore. Sid and I talked
occasionally about recipes for dishes from different cultures of the world, but
we really got serious about single malt scotch whiskeys! Sid and I both had
pretty good collections of single malts, and often, when I visited with Jackie
to discuss Harper House board business, Sid would challenge me to describe his
latest whiskey “find”.
In Sid’s memory I am sending my
never-before-shared recipe for Chili Con Carne. Knowing of Sid’s love for and interest
in spices and seasonings of the world I know he would have loved this
recipe.
DR. ALBRECHT’S CHILI CON CARNE
½ TO ¾ LB. mild Italian sausage
1 ½ lb. ground beef
1 tsp seasoned salt
¾ green papper (chopped)
2 medium onions (finely chopped)
3 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil (optional)
2 ½ Tbsp. McCormick chili powder
2 Tbsp. distilled vinegar
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can dark red Bush kidney beans
Dash of MSG is optional
Brown meats and vegetables. Then add other
ingredients and simmer for 2-3 hours. Best if made a day before serving.