Friday, April 29, 2016

Marianna Shreve Simpson

In memory of Sid – in the beginning and at the end

Many among Sidney’s colleagues and long-time friends will remember that his sixtieth birthday was celebrated with a surprise party in conjunction with the 1982 meeting of the American Anthropological Association in Washington, D.C. The fete took place at the Textile Museum near Dupont Circle, and I was there as the date of Richard L. Kagan, professor of history at Johns Hopkins. Richard had previously introduced me to his close friends Jackie and Sidney Mintz, but it was only when we arrived at the Textile Museum that I was able to appreciate the expanse of the Mintz friendship and collegial circle. Soon Sidney came to the museum lectern--with a black eye, acquired (as we were to learn) in a fall–and began: “Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking...”  The crowd immediately roared in laughter, which is when I realized how often everyone there had anticipated and savored his presentations and what a very prominent place Sidney occupied in the academic and culinary worlds.

***

As it happens, my own birthday is the day after Sidney’s. (Albeit a few decades apart.) So after Richard Kagan and I married, it became the custom to have a joint birthday dinner, sometimes at our Baltimore home, sometimes at the Mintzes, sometimes at a restaurant and always with our dear mutual friends Nancy and Arthur Valk. These were special occasions, featuring some great meals (always better and more vinous when chez Mintz, Simpson/Kagan or Valk), equally terrific conversation, and lots of laughter. It was through these gatherings, and many others with Sid and Jackie over the years, that I learned the essential role of good food and drink in creating and sustaining fellowship and memorable occasions.

***


Christmas Eve was long another occasion for the Mintzes, Valks and Simpson/Kagans to foregather, a tradition that continued even after Richard and I moved from Baltimore to Philadelphia. This past year Jackie and Sid spent the night, and Sid contributed a vintage bottle to our repast. As always, he also told many jokes and stories, especially about childhood years in New Jersey. More jokes and bon mots–and ideas about a Mintz memoire--enlivened breakfast and the opening of  stockings (a specifically Simpson family practice that Sid doubtless regarded as a bit too much Christmas, but cheerfully accepted as part of the visit). Early on Christmas afternoon we sent Jackie and Sid off to Princeton, with hugs and kisses. Our tears would come all too soon. Birthday and Christmas Eve dinners will never be the same. How fortunate we feel to have experienced these–and so many other wonderful times–together.