Friday, April 29, 2016

Christine Du Bois

In 1998 I had a strange dream.  While working on a dissertation about West Indian immigrants’ relations with police and media, for some reason my brain decided to contemplate North Africa, a region I had never even had the pleasure of visiting.  I was hiking up a truly deserted desert hillside, and on reaching the top I could see a great expanse of rolling landscape sparsely covered with low, scrubby vegetation.  The scene was breathtaking and empty.  But then whom should I spy across a little valley, wandering along the top of another hill?  Sidney Mintz, singing amiably, dressed in a long, white, “Western”-style wedding dress.  My dreaming mind guessed that he must be engaged in some sort of transcendant experience.  
As his thesis advisee and therefore in a position to offer Sid all the respect he deserved, it was with a little trepidation that I emailed him about this dream.  But I couldn’t resist.  I knew firsthand of Sid’s great sense of humor, so I figured (and hoped) he would enjoy the imagery.  
Sid shot back with a one-sentence reply that fit him perfectly.  He simply asked, in astonished capital letters, “HOW DID YOU KNOW???”
Sid had an unpretentious confidence; he neither believed in nor needed to guard his status jealously, to show off, or to pull rank.  His ability to talk to all kinds of people and genuinely to treat each one as valuable and smart made him a great fieldworker.  It also made him a great mentor.  And a great friend.
Studying soybeans together, Sid and I had occasion to speak a couple of times with a prominent natural foods CEO.  Once, gesturing over to Sid, who was walking through a conference hall, the executive asked me, “Is he at the top of his field?”

“Yes, he most definitely is,” I answered.

“I can tell.”

“How?”

“He doesn’t act like he’s at the top of his field.  He’s not trying to prove anything.  That’s how people at the top act.”
I only knew Sid after he was already very prominent.  But I’m aware from others that Sid was actually an unaffected, anti-hierarchical, sincerely open person all his life.  He was incredibly sophisticated without being at all haughty.
Sid’s openness drew out the best in many, many people.  He drew out the best in me. He put up with my tendency to be skeptical and question everything—my devil’s advocate side.  I’d throw out crazy or heretical thoughts, just batting ideas around, and he’d debate them with me.  He seemed to understand my intellectual style for coming to conclusions, and he did not judge it.  He believed in me, as an academic and as a person.  It is a very powerful thing to be believed in, to feel the solid weight of that assurance surrounding you and buoying you up.  You never forget it.
I am, certainly, who I am in part because of Sid, and I will be grateful to him every day for the rest of my life.

A favorite recipe in my family—well among the adults.  The little one thinks it’s “gross”—too much alcohol!  That’s fine—more for the rest of us. With sugar and molasses and rum, it always brings Sid to mind.


Jamaican black cake

Adapted from the Naparima Girls’ High School Cookbook, Trinidad

Time:  4 hours, plus between 7 days and 12 months of soaking the fruits—the longer the better

Yield:  3 or 4 cakes, about 4 dozen servings.  Excellent cut in thick slices as holiday gifts (each serving is wonderful and very rich).

1 pound pitted prunes (prunes with orange, cherry, or lemon essence are fine if desired)
1 pound dark raisins
1/2 pound golden raisins
1 pound dried currants
1 1/2 pounds dried cherries (not candied)
1/4 pound candied citrus peels
2 cups dark rum; more for brushing cakes (up to 2 more cups)
1 1/2 cups kirsch brandy; plus a little more for grinding fruit
1/4 pound blanched almonds
1/4 cup dark molasses
4 sticks (1 pound) salted butter; more for buttering pans
1 pound (about 2 1/2 cups) dark brown sugar
10 eggs
zest of 2 limes
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon Angostura bitters (optional)
4 cups (1 pound) all-purpose white flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon

1. At least 7 days before baking, and up to 12 months in advance, combine prunes, raisins, currants, cherries, candied citrus peels, rum, and brandy in a sturdy glass or plastic container.  Cover very tightly.  Occasionally shake, stir, or turn the container upside down and then right-side up again.

2. When ready to bake, put soaked fruit and almonds in a food processor; work in small batches that the machine can handle.  Grind to a rough paste.  Add a little brandy if needed to loosen the mixture in the machine.

3.  Heat oven to 250 degrees F.   Butter three 9-inch or four 8-inch cake pans; line bottoms with a double layer of parchment or wax paper.

4.  Using a mixer and a very large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until smooth and fluffy. Mix in eggs one at a time, then lime zest, vanilla, and bitters (if desired).

5.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon.

6.  Fold dry ingredients into butter mixture.

7.  Stir in fruit paste and molasses.  Batter should be medium-dark; if too light, add a tablespoon or two more of molasses if desired.

8.  Divide among prepared pans.  Cakes will not rise much, so fill pans almost to top.

9.  Bake 1 hour; then reduce heat to 225 degrees. Bake 2-3 hours longer, until a knife or tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove to cooling racks.

10.  While cakes are hot, brush tops with rum and let soak in.  Repeat several times while cakes gradually cool; they will each absorb up to 1/2 cup more rum.


11.  When cakes are completely cool, they can be turned out and served.  To keep longer, wrap tightly in wax or parchment paper, then in foil.  Store in a cool, dry place for up to 1 month.  

Sid and Jackie about to enjoy a fine meal at a food conference in Chengdu, China.

Here is Sid enjoying the company of our Taiwanese tour guides at the Chengdu conference.