I am Sid’s niece on the Mintz side.
My mom was his oldest sister. I’ve attached a favorite recipe from my
family.
I, and another
of Sid’s nieces, had a wonderful visit with him and Jackie a few years ago. He
told us wonderful and important stories, filling in gaps in our family history
and his growing up in Dover, New Jersey and later. We shared some great meals
and his one request for Manhattan-smoked fish!
![]() |
| Sidney Mintz, age 2 (far left), with his parents and three sisters |
Black Cherry Brisket
1 jar black cherry preserves (ok to use regular cherry, but
black is better)
Equal amount of water/wine
4 lb. Brisket
juice of 1 lemon
1 onion diced
potatoes
salt, pepper
Rub brisket with Kitchen Bouquet. Put in
roasting pan with diced onion. Add preserves. Fill empty bottle with wine/water
and add. Add lemon juice, salt, pepper. Add more wine/water if necessary. Cover and bake at 325 for 2 hours. Add potatoes after one hour. If
leftovers, slice meat and store with liquid. Almost better the second day.
