Friday, April 29, 2016

Katherine Verdery

Sidney as Undergraduate Teacher

From the time I arrived at Hopkins in 1977, Sid was always the one to teach Intro to Anthropology for Hopkins undergrads.  I always taught whatever I wanted to; I never “had” to teach Intro.  But I assumed I would have to at some point, so one semester I decided to sit in on some of Sid’s lectures to see how he did it.  
The first one I went to was something about human evolution, and it took only a few minutes for me to realize that I would never be able to teach that class like Sid.  Expectably, he had jokes and anecdotes to fill out the story of the descent of Man, but then suddenly (he must have sensed lagging interest) he dropped down into a squat and did a perfect imitation of a chimpanzee, body language and noises and all.  I understand that at Yale (and maybe Hopkins too), when he taught his course on Caribbean Ethnography he would sing calypso to get people into the spirit of things.  I think he was such a memorable teacher because he was absolutely shameless in the pursuit of communication.
Vastly more self-conscious, I never did teach Intro, having seen him do it.  

One of my favorite dishes from my fieldwork in Romania is called “Polenta with Cheese and Cream” (Mămăligă cu Brînză şi Smîntîna).  The ingredients are hard to duplicate in the U.S., not because they are rare but because their U.S. equivalents are much less tasty, but here’s the idea—very simple.  This dish is for those whose cholesterol level is low; the dish will raise it well above acceptable maxima!
1) Cook up a bunch of coarse-ground corn meal (the usual ratio is about 3 cups of water per cup of corn meal).
2) Get some farmer’s cheese and crumble it up, or, failing that, small-curd cottage cheese will do.  Pour some heavy cream into it and mix it up until the mixture is slightly runny but still thick.

3) You can either spoon out the polenta and put some of the mixture on it, then eat, or else layer the polenta with the cheese-cream mixture in an oven-proof pot, put a bunch of butter on it, and stick it in the oven at 350 for a bit, until it’s hot.